Thursday, September 10, 2009

Onions, Shallots and Garlic harvested and laid out to dry.

I'm so pleased with the success that I've had this year growing Onions, Shallots and Garlic. I have never been able to grow onions of any size before and I've tried many times. This year a friend who is a master gardener told me not to plant onion sets but to start my onions from seed in the house . He recommended starting them in February, I got a little carried away and started them under lights in mid January and the result has been amazing. I harvested them all this morning and laid them out on my front deck to dry in the sun. There is a good crop of Shallots too also grown from seed and some small garlic grown from garlic cloves. I didn't plant the garlic until late spring and I think they would be larger if I planted them in the fall so that is my plan for this year.

1. Garlic, 2. Onion Cortland, 3. Onion Greek Salad, 4. Shallots Ambition

Created with fd's Flickr Toys

No comments: