Saturday, April 3, 2010

Arras and Vimy and maybe Brussels

I'm in Arras only a 10 train ride to Vimy Ridge this morning, had to stay here because there isn't a hotel in Vimy. Arras is a very lovely little city but the building style really surprised me and I don't know the history behind it. If you had brought me here blindfolded I would hzve never thought I was still in France, Holland, Belguim maybe:



Took the early è AM train to Vimy this morning and was surprised to discover that I had an hour and a half walk in the rain to the monument, but it was well worth the effort, such a special place:



I have a lot of still photos but once again the computers won't let me upload them; I think the problem is Bill Gates and microsoft vista everytime in find a computer that uses it I have big problems.

Just down the road from the memorial is one of the 30 Canadian War Cemeteries in France:



I checked the register and there is one Calder burried here John D. Calder:



I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking I might go to Brussels tomorrow, I still have time to fill in before I go to Paris and I have never been there.

Happy Easter all.

1 comment:

Kiwi Nomad said...

The sight of that war cemetery does indeed tug at the heart strings. So many young men's lives ended on the soil of northern France, and they were never to return to their families.