Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First full day in Beziers


Beziers, originally uploaded by Marlis1.

Arrived in Beziers after dark last night almost 23 hours after leaving Moncton. Had a good flight over to Paris, well as good as can be expected with Air Canada my Vegetarian meal in the evening was not eatable and I guess I slept through Breakfast. I do remember hearing them ask somebody if they wanted orange juice. Anyway it was a good flight and seemed really short because I slept most of the way.

Pru and Ivan came to see me at the Airport and we had a nice visit and lunch. Very cold in Paris and the train station area of the airport is mostly open to the outside so it was very cool. There was a fresh covering of snow in Paris and most of the way down south. All the way to Nimes anyway, but after that it was all green fields.

My landlord was waiting at the station with his dog Penny and after I got settled in I was invited down for a very delicious dinner. Which was much appreciated after the long day.

Another good nights sleep last night and this morning I was off to Les Halles the covered market for breakfast and some shopping to get my kitchen stocked. I love the French markets everything so well displayed and so fresh. Lots of wonderful fresh seafood here, being so close to the sea. I bought some salmon already cooked in a cream and red pepper sauce and I just had it warmed up for supper, very good.

Spent most of the day getting my bearings and exploring the town. Sunny and very comfortable in just a light jacket. A lot to see and I just strolled around barely scratching the surface.

I haven't gone to an internet cafe yet, found a nice one next to the market though, to see if I can upload some of my photos to use so in the meantime I stole this one from Marlis a flickr friend. This shows the river Orb, the old Roman Bridge and the Cathedral high on the hill. I walked around the cathedral this afternoon and saw this view looking down from there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dale:

Glad you had a good trip!

My wife and I also had a twenty hour trip (- a mix of plane, plane, bus and train.) Soon after getting to Béziers we just crashed and slept for twelve hours.

Les Halles is a marvel, though. Some other great things to try are the Rabbit and the Paella. Also, for nibbling, get some of the Lucques (local olives) Nouvelles. But, of course, don't forget to get cheese - it is alway best in Françe.

For wine, just go to the Caves Paul Riquet - just below the southeast corner of Les Halles - show them what you bought and they'll take good care of you.

Say Hi to Malcolm and Penny for us.

Best Wishes,
Marc and Pat.

Dale said...

Hi Marc and Pat:

I'll pass on your greetings to Malcolm and Penny. I have already tried two chesses both goat cheeses, I used to have my own goats. All of your suggestions sound great except for the poor little bunny, I'm a vegetarian. I have a friend from Sevre just outside of Paris arriving today for a few days visiting and we plan to rent a car to do some touring around in the area. I'm also anxious to try some of the local restaurants, I don't like eating alone in restaurants.

Thanks for all your help.

Dale

Unknown said...

hello Dale,
hope you had a great day- if the weather was even close to what we have here- you should be ok.
Make sure you walk down to the old bridge- and across- can't beat the view.
Check out the cathedral- worth a closer look- interesting history.

Greetings from Catalonia.

Marlis

Dale said...

Hi Maria Luisa

A little cool in the morning but sunny and lovely all day. We walked down to the old bridge but I haven't crossed it yet. We have rented a car for Thursday through Monday morning so will be touring around the area.

I will send this to you via flickr mail too because I find that this site doesn't sent the emails it is supposed to to notify you of a reply.

Dale