I cut the following recipe in half and added some hot green chillies. I also used half red and half green peppers. I think another time I would use all read, this makes it have a nicer appearance and it is supposed to be red.
1 Liter Sunflower oil
1 Kg Onion (chopped) (2.2 lbs)
1 Kg Carrots (peeled and shredded) (2.2 lbs)
5 Kg Red Pepper (cored and chopped in blender) (11 lbs)
2 Kg Eggplant (roasted, peeled and chopped in blender) (4.4 lbs)
2 Kg Mushroom (each chopped to 6-8 pieces) (4.4 lbs)
1 Liter Crushed Tomato (canned)
5-6 Bay Leafs
6 Tbs Sea Salt
1 Tbs Ground Black Pepper
1) Prick the skin of eggplants with fork and start to BBQ (or grill in oven) till skin turns black. Let it cool in a plastic bag, it will be easier to peel
2) Chop onion and wash carrots, red peppers, mushrooms
3) In a large pot pour in the sunflower oil and sauté the onion
4) Peel and shred carrots then add to pot (stirring it regularly)
5) Chop mushrooms (don’t chop it too small) then add to pot
6) Core red pepper, cut it to 3-4 inches pieces (make sure there is no seed left) then chop it coarsely in a food processor and add to pot
7) Peel the eggplants, chop it in food processor and add to pot
8) Add crushed tomatoes, bay leafs, salt and black pepper
Cook for 1 hour after it started to boil on very low temperature till oil comes to the surface.
Remove bay leafs.
Pour into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch (6 mm) head-space. Wipe jar rims thoroughly with a clean damp cloth. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 8 minutes.
Makes around 40 (250 ml) or 20 (500 ml) jars.